Committed to Sustainability: Australia and New Zealand 2018 Update
Today, Kimberly-Clark Australia and New Zealand (KCANZ) is proud to release its latest Sustainability Update, a summary of local performance in the third year of the Sustainability 2020 Strategy.
We launched our five year sustainability strategy for Australia and New Zealand (ANZ) in 2016 with a set of measurable sustainability objectives that help us deliver value across five key priority areas – Social Impact, Forests & Fibre, Waste & Recycling, Energy & Climate, and Supply Chain. We are pleased to report that at the end of year three, we remain on track with our new goals:
- Social Impact: We improved the well-being of more than 1,015,570 people across Australia and New Zealand (ANZ) through our corporate partnerships and brand-led programs since 2016. We have continued to partner with a number of charities delivering critical support to communities in need. These organisations include Foodbank, the Royal New Zealand Plunket Society, Share the Dignity and Life’s Little Treasures Foundation.
- Forests & Fibre: We have continued to invest in responsibly-sourced fibre, to ensure we build a future for our world’s forests and forest product industry. In 2018, 100% of the fibre used in our Australian manufactured tissue and towel products was sourced from FSC ® certified or FSC ® controlled wood sources.
- Waste & Recycling: In Australia we successfully recycled 21 tonnes or 5.2 million pieces of Kimberly-Clark flexible plastic packaging through the REDcycle program. This is a 53% increase from 2017! In 2018, we also diverted 91.9% of our manufacturing waste from landfill.
- Energy & Climate: We have reduced carbon dioxide emissions by 60% since 2011 by improving processes at our manufacturing sites to deliver energy efficiencies, which means we have already exceeded our target goal for this priority area.
- Supply Chain: We work closely with our supply chain partners to ensure our standards for social and environmental compliance were met. In 2018, we met our Social Compliance target for Kimberly-Clark sites and facilities by assuring 100% compliance with customer and licensor requirements as well as with our own Social Compliance Standards.
Sustainability remains an integral component to our company vision to lead the world in essentials for a better life. Whilst we have achieved a number of worthy milestones through our partnerships and programs, we are aware that we must continue to develop our initiatives and strategy in order to respond to new challenges and changing consumer needs. To deliver this, we are focusing our efforts on using sustainable practices that support a healthy planet and will help our business thrive for years to come.
For further details about sustainability progress and initiative please visit our Kimberly-Clark Australia and New Zealand Sustainability website.